TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

What part of my ss will my wife get upon my death

Customer Question

what part of my ss will my wife get upon my death
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 months ago.

The monthly amount she would get is a percentage of your basic Social Security benefit. It depends on her age and the type of benefit she would be eligible to receive.

If you were receiving reduced benefits, they base her survivor's benefit on that amount.

The maximum survivors benefit amount is limited to what you would receive if you were still alive.

SSA has some examples:

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
  • Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59 -- 71½ percent

If she received benefits as a widow , she can switch to her own retirement benefit as early as age 62. This assumes she is eligible for retirement benefits and her retirement rate is higher than her rate as a widow.

In many cases, a widow or widower can begin receiving one benefit at a reduced rate and then, at full retirement age, switch to the other benefit at an unreduced rate.

I cannot advise an exact dollar amount.

You would have to have SSA calculate that.

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited with responding.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded