dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am a retired teacher but have paid Socal Security years

Customer Question

I am a retired teacher but have paid Socal Security for 34 years because I have always worked an extra job to make ends meet. Only 9 of those years did I earn enough for them to count as viable years. Will I be eligible to draw any Social Security? Is it going to be reduced more than 40%?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good evening Sharron,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. When you wrote: Only 9 of those years did I earn enough for them to count as viable years, what do you specifically mean? Social security benefit eligibility is not based on "viable years" but on quarter credits earned.

2. Have you checked to learn the number of quarter credits of social security you earned? How many is that?

Doug