LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

My social security payment deposit to information needs up

Customer Question

my social security payment deposit to information needs up date because of me moving out of state...what do I need to due to update new bank address.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon Robert,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you already are receiving benefits, you can create a My Social Security Online Account and start or change Direct Deposit online. If you don’t already have an account, you can easily create one. You can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit, change bank accounts and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site:

If you are already receiving Social Security and or Supplemental Security Income benefits through direct deposit, then you may change the account the deposit is posted to by calling 1 (800) SSA-1213(1-***-***-****). The representative will be able to assist you in getting the change made to your account.

Finally, you may also visit your local social security office and make the change.

The one thing that you absolutely do not want to do is to close the account where your existing benefit is deposited until you have received the first monthly payment deposited to your new account. If you close the old account too early, it can take months for you to get things straightened out and get your missed payments from social security.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,