Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

It seems my SS# has been used fraudulently and I am trying

Customer Question

It seems my SS# ***** been used fraudulently and I am trying to find out the steps to take to how it was used and how to clear the misuse up.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

File a Police Report. Then go to the local office of Social Security Administration and file a report. Click here for contact information:

File complaint with FTC, this would generate Identity Theft Affidavit.

Also contact all three major credit Reporting Agencies (Experian, Equifax, and Transunion) to put a security freeze on your account. With this you would be notified if someone tries to apply for credit using your information.

You also need to contact Credit Reporting Agencies to request a free copy of your credit report so that you can review the reports and then dispute any fraudulent information on the reports. Click on the link below to get a free report from each of the major Credit Reporting Agencies:

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.