Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

My aunt has moved here from Florida to live with us. She is

Customer Question

My aunt has moved here from Florida to live with us. She is 98 and receives social security.
I need to change her address and she is asking about supplements since we are taking care of her. I'm not sure what you would need to answer this question.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be happy to help you with your question. What is your question regarding supplements?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not even sure. She says when you move in with someone they receive a supplement for taking care of you. I don't think this is necessary and am content with her just receiving her normal payment. So - given that what needs to be done to change her address and if she had a supplement from living with her daughter in Florida that needs to be stopped. I think that's where her question is coming from, because I think her daughter had recently started receiving the supplement and then she moved permanently to my house in Texas
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is housebound, cannot walk and experiences severe pain when she has to get in a car. So I can't take her to the social security office. Is this going to be a problem.

Let me find the process needed for changing your address with Social Security.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would you be able to help with the supplement question as well.

I can look into that too. Is this from the state of Florida? Or is this another benefit?

You will be able to change the address via the internet or a phone call. Here is a link to SSA page explaining how to change the address.

The telephone number is *****

https://www.disasterassistance.gov/get-assistance/forms-of-assistance/4510/1/9

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she is from Florida

I am still looking in to supplements.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is mostly concerned with having the supplement she received in florida turned off. She doesn't want to get in trouble for receiving a benefit she is not supposed to receive. I found something on the internet about it, but I really didn't have time to delve into it. I'm self employed and over my head right now with work, which is why I'm willing to pay someone who knows what they are talking about to help me.

There is a Supplemental Security Income that is paid by the US government (as part of Social Security). The supplement provides stipends to low income individuals who are either aged 65 or older, blind or disabled.

What information did you find?

If the Supplement is connected with Social Security you would be able to find this when you talk with Social Security.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was a table that showed supplements to caretakers.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well then, I guess I'll find all my answers with a phone call to social security. Guess I really didn't need to do all this but thanks.

I am still looking for information for you.

From what I have been looking at it does not appear to be a Florida benefit. Here is a link to a site that provided different caregiver benefits broken out by state.

https://nrcpds.bc.edu/insights-publications.php?state=50

Here is article that may be of use to you regarding caregiver resources.

https://www.agingcare.com/Articles/how-to-get-paid-for-being-a-caregiver-135476.htm

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. Appreciate your help.

You are very welcome.