Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

Can a representative payee give money each month to the

Customer Question

Can a representative payee give money each month to the person he is representing for food, personal items, gas for their car, entertainment, etc.?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 3 months ago.

Yes, the RP can do this, but must keep careful to make sure the BILLs are paid, i.e. rent, health insurance, utilities, etc. But, an "allowance" for these others, as properly budgeted, is fine. He will also want to document that money, perhaps by giving the beneficiary a check for, say X amount each week, that states what it is for. And the RP will want to make sure it is being used for food, etc. If the beneficiary is not good with money, it may be spend on all the wrong things. But yes, he can give him money for his daily needs.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.