TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

I am the caregiver 40 year old daughter, *********

Customer Question

I am the caregiver for my 40 year old daughter, Amy ********* (***-**-****) My name is Elizabeth ********* (***-**-****) and I wanted to know if Social Security benefits would include any compensation for us as a caregiver status. I was recently at the local Social Security Office and picked up A Guide for Representative Payees. This got me thinking of the time that I pass and would then have to have someone take over the paying of bills for Amy. I have one other daughter that does not live in the state (she's a military spouse) that would probably have to meet this responsibility. Your guidance in this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 months ago.

Some states have programs that help people pay for the caregiver of their choice, and in certain circumstances that can be a family member. SSA does not pay a caregiver.

Under SSA rules, individuals who serve as payees are not allowed to collect a fee for performing payee services.

The Medicaid program (government health insurance for low-income people – this program may go by a different name in your state), will provide money to pay family members to provide care to Medicaid recipients. As these are state specific you would need to check with your state.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded