dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I am 55 and have been on sed since 1990. I really wanted go

Customer Question

I am 55 and have been on sed since 1990. I really wanted go back to work but everyone tells me that my social security payout, if I can keep a job, is calculated on how many years i worked and payed into the system, therefore, my payment would be extremely low since I wouldn't have paid into the system for long.
I also was told by my social security lawyer that at 62 sed becomes regular social security and then I can earn more per month . Other people tell me the payment would drop,
what are the laws. Where do I look for the laws to read and real info.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You are getting confusing information. If you go back to work you may loose your social security disability benefits and will not qualify for regular benefits until at least 62. If you qualified for social security disability, you must have had enough credits to qualify for social security benefits so your social security benefits will be about the same as your disability benefits. At 66, your full retirement age (not 62) your disability benefit will be automatically switched to regular social security benefits. Only than you can have unlimited earnings without benefits reduction.

I you work and collect social security benefits, your benefits will be reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn over certain threshold, which is about 15K. Once you reach your full retirement age, you can work and keep your full benefits.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?