Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My wife was 65 on 5-2-16. She never received a medicare

Customer Question

my wife was 65 on 5-2-16. She never received a medicare card. Without that card she can't get supplemental ins. Basically she is uninsured at the moment. She has contacted social security numerous times. They tell her they will escalate her problem. She has contacted our congressman. She has talked to a seniors problem lawyer. This is a mess that it seems can't be figured out by anyone. Any thoughts on this? thanks from greg
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Yes , God forbid if my wife has an accident and and needs xtra care. Can this govt. go after our assets when they are the ones that have screwed up? What recourse do we have to protect ourselves?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

So sorry that you're having this trouble.

...

I can only add two things that you may not have tried ...

...

(1) Going to the My Social Security account onine is one of the ways that the replacement card can be obtained ... at least you'll know there's been a formal requiest put into the system.

...

If don’t already have an account, you can create one online. Go to Sign In or Create an Account.
...
Once you are logged in to your account, select the "Replacement Documents" tab. Then select “Mail my replacement Medicare Card.”

...

(2) Here's what Social Securoity says about the (supposed to be 30 days) need for proof of vocerage if you need it sooner:

..

"Have a doctor’s appointment? If you can’t wait 30 days for your new card to arrive, you can visit your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-**** (TTY users 1-***-***-****) Monday through Friday, from 7AM to 7PM.

The agency will mail you a letter that you can use as proof of Medicare eligibility until you receive your new Medicare card. You should receive this letter within 10 days of submitting the request."

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Sorry, it looks like the "My Social Security" link didn't go through AS a link.

...

Here it is again:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Here are the things listed on the site.

...

If you receive benefits or have Medicare, you can:

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't apply for replacement card because I never recvd a card. That's the problem! Medicare has no records on me. I was in the workforce for 40plus years and paid into medicare. I have made numerous phone calls and no one can help me. I should have rcvd a card 4-6 weeks before my 65 bday.
I can't enroll in a medicare supplement until I have medicare card. I have no insurance bec
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
cause my co I retired from dropped me on May1st. What recourse do we have? If something happens
to me we could be wiped out.
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, I didn't see you had come back. Give me a little time to check on this. Check back in an hour or so if you would.
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

A couple of questions for you:

...

Depending on the number of employees a given employer has, the law does not require your employer to offer employees who are 65 (and eligible for Medicare) the same coverage as other employees. In other words, smaller businesses can require you to enroll in Medicare. In this case, at age 65, you typically would have to choose one of these options:

• Enroll in Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B) and/or a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Medicare Part D). You might also consider buying a MediGap (Medicare Supplement Insurance) policy from a private company.
  • Enroll in a Medicare Advantage Plan (Medicare Part C). Nearly all of these plans include prescription drug coverage. However, if you choose a plan that does not include prescription drug coverage, and you want drug coverage, you need to enroll in a separate Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Medicare Part D).

...

DID your company have less than 20 employees?

...

Also, Did you enroll?

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

f you are turning 65 or are over 65 and do not yet receive Social Security benefits

The Initial Enrollment Period for people turning 65 lasts for seven months. It begins three months before your 65th birthday and ends three months after you turn 65. If you do not yet receive Social Security benefits, you must contact the Social Security Administration to enroll in Medicare.

• Call your local Social Security officer or go to the Social Security Administration's website section about Medicare. Click the "Apply for Medicare Benefits" button
  • To ensure that your coverage is not delayed, it is recommended that you sign up during the three-month period before you turn 65 years old.