emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

My wife and I will both receive ss based on each of our work

Customer Question

My wife and I will both receive ss based on each of our work records. I will likely opt to collect at age 68 and she will probably at age 64 or 65. When both of us are collecting our SS, and one dies, does the surviving spouse continue to receive the deceased spouse's SS payment until that spouse dies?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You can receive one benefit at the time. When one of you dies, the other will become eligible for surviving benefits (80 - 100% of the deceased spouse). Generally, you will receive the highest benefits available to you, your own or widow/er, but not both.

When your spouse start her benefits before her full retirement age 66, all her benefits, current and future will be permanently reduced. Which means she will not be eligible for 100% of your benefits as a widow.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.