emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I was married years and 11 months divorced never really

Customer Question

I was married for 9 years and 11 months divorced never really separated after we got divorced lived with him for 22 years am I entitled to any Social Security by him we're still together and thinking of getting remarried but he's 63 I don't know if he can last another 10 years or do they add the years together.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you get married, you will be immediately eligible for spousal benefits as well as widow's benefits after his death. If you do not get married, you will not be eligible for any ex-spouse's benefits since you were not married for 10 years. You are better off to get married.

To be eligible for spousal benefits, you have to be married and at least 62. To be eligible for ex-spousal benefits you need to be married for at least 10 years.

any questions?

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your response if I really would have thought about it I probably would have had my answer but thank you anyways

You're welcome.

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.