socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  retired (mostly)

My grand daughter has been receiving disability payment from

Customer Question

My grand daughter has been receiving disability payment from her father for the past year.
she has just graduated and will be 18 in a week and she is planning to go to a community college I was told that she may still be eligiable for payments from her father if she is going on to a secondary school
i would appreciate if you could answer this
Thank you,
Karole Peck my e-mail is***@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 months ago.

There is no auxiliary benefit for a child over the age of 18 years, unless the child is still in high school, or the child is mentally disabled.

Based upon your described circumstances, I do not believe that your grand daughter can qualify for continuing auxiliary benefits from the Social Security Administration.

I realize that my answer may not be exactly what you were hoping to read. However, under the circumstances, the best that I can do is to explain what the law is and is not, so that you can avoid expending valuable resources looking for answers that do not exist, and concentrate on the options that are actually available.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!