Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Am I able to obtain SS survivor benefits from my deceased

Customer Question

Hi.... Am I able to obtain SS survivor benefits from my deceased husband? I am 68 and a retired Conn. teacher. I work part time as well. Do I qualify for his SS ?????
Toni
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning.

...

I'm so sorry to be the messenger here, but although a spouse NORMALLY is able toreceive a survivors benefit, under the Government Pension Offset law, your benefit would be reduced ... and depending on the size of your non-social security pension could be eliminated.

...

You can read more about that here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/gpo.html

...

From Social Security: The GPO will reduce the amount of your Social Security spouse's, widow's or widower's benefits by two-thirds of the amount of your government pension.

...

There are two exceptions to that:

...

(1)Are receiving a government pension that is not based on your earnings; or

...

(2)Are a federal (including Civil Service Offset), state or local government employee whose government pension is based on a job where you were paying Social Security taxes; and

• you filed for and were entitled to spouse’s, widow’s or widower’s benefits before April 1, 2004;
  • your last day of employment (that your pension is based on) is before July 1, 2004;
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here.

Thank you!

Lane

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be credited for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane