emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I'm a 58 year old widow who is considering remarrying. Both

Customer Question

I'm a 58 year old widow who is considering remarrying. Both my late husband and I qualify for SS. Am I able to choose his payout over my own? If I remarry does this affect my options?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. To qualify for social security benefits, you must be at least 62, unless you are widow or you are disabled. Which benefits do you currently qualify for?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
None that I'm aware of.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My question is am I able to choose between my late husband and my own? Also, if I remarry could I still collect under my late husband?

To collect survivor benefits based on your deceased spouse records, you cannot remarry before 60. The earliest you can apply is 60, but you will not be able to choose. You will automatically get the highest benefits available to you.

Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No thanks.

You're welcome.

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.