Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My ex-husband passed away on June 2nd, 2016 and I was told

Customer Question

My ex-husband passed away on June 2nd, 2016 and I was told if his social security is more than mine I am entitled to receive a larger amount. Is this true?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi I sorry for your loss.

...

Yes, that's correct. If you are past full retirement age 66 for many today, 65 for some depending on your age now, you will receive 100% of his benefit.

...

The benefits cannot be "stacked," but they WILL take your benefit up TO the amount he was receiving.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

See this from Social Security:

...

"If you are getting retirement or disability benefits on your own record:

...

If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday. You can also contact your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

For widow's benefit, here are the items you'll want to pull together for the call:

...

• Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificate or other proof of birth;

...

If you are a U.S. Citizen born outside the U.S., we need to see a document such as a:

• U.S. consular report of birth,
  • U.S. passport,
  • Certificate of Naturalization, or
  • Certificate of Citizenship.
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986