Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

My mother in law is partially disabled. One eye is blind and

Customer Question

My mother in law is partially disabled. One eye is blind and the other is partially disabled. She lives with us and my wife is not working but taking full care of her Mom. Its becoming stressful with now the eye being less focused. Can we get monetary assistance for her to enter into a County or State Home Care unit?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 3 months ago.

If she is in need of a nursing home, long term care, you can seek this through your local medicald/medical assistance office. This is not something provided by Social Security, or federal government and typically not even Medicare. However, Medicaid long term care can be made available such that what her own income does not cover (and you should not have to spend YOURS then), the state picks up. Of course, she has to be in a nursing home that accepts her insurance, so that is something you can work with the local medicaid office with - finding out which ones so you can check them out and find the one that will work best for her.

As an aside, I am sure you have done this, but has she applied for survivor benefit based on her deceased husband's work record - if it is bigger than the one she has now, she can switch.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!