emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I have been married years. My spouse has her own ss benefits

Customer Question

I have been married for 44 years. My spouse has her own ss benefits from her employment and I also have my own ss benefits. Would my spouse, as well as myself, be able to collect a portion of our spouse ss when we expire. If so, what percentage/amount would either of us receive?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You can only collect one benefits at the time. When one of you dies, the other one may be eligible for survivor benefits (other spouse's benefits) and receive the higher benefits (his/her own or the spousal, but not both).

To get 100% of the spousal benefits, the other spouse will have to wait until his/her full retirement age to apply for any type of SS benefits.

For instance, if you apply at 62, you will only be eligible for about 80% of your own as well as your surviving benefits. If your spouse wait until her full retirement age to apply for benefits, she will get 100% of her own or survivor benefits (100% of what you were eligible for)

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.