Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

How to find out if my grandchildren's father received

Customer Question

How to find out if my grandchildren's father received social security disability, he has passed away and I believe he said once that he received it and I believe the children should get survivor benefits for his social security
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 4 months ago.

It won't matter if he received SSD. Another way for minor children to be eligible for SS benefits is via "survivor" benefits - even if he was never disabled. Their caretaker can go to the local office and apply there for each child. It should be done ASAP, because it does not go retro more than 6 months. And, if it turns out the father WAS on disability, while the old benefits that children COULD HAVE gotten as his dependents are not available past 6 months ago, if he just died recently, there may be a few of those 6 months available to them, that are not part of survivor benefit. Applying right away is KEY, particularly before June ends, because it is ends, that is another month that they can not get, as the January will no longer be payable.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!