Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

Sir/Madam, My wife and I are retired. She is receiving a

Customer Question

My wife and I are retired. She is receiving a monthly amount and so am I. I contributed into the system for 25 years. She did also.
Her monthly amount has been the same since she started getting it when she turned 65, (or close).
I was advised that, since she is my wife, she is entitled for a larger amount based on my check.
Can you please enlighten me if this is true?
Many, many thanks.
Philip E Larson Jr. My SS####-##-####
Her name = Sandra M Larson SS####-##-####
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 3 months ago.

Hi Philip!

Generally, YES, if the amount she'd get as a "spouse" is greater than what she'd get on her own work record, she can change over to a spousal benefit, certainly. Remember, a spouse benefit would be an amount that is only a portion of what your primary insurance benefit is - somewhere between 35% and 50% (50% if she started collecting her own benefit no earlier than her full retirement age). So typically a spousal benefit is a better choice if she was a low lifetime income worker and you, perhaps, were a much higher lifetime income earner over your lives. But, the only way to know is to apply! So I do urge her to inquire of her local SSA office. There is nothing to lose.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!