dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I receive SSI. I was able to get the contract I signed with

Customer Question

I receive SSI. I was able to get the contract I signed with an advocacy group dissolved because they did not follow up with my questions regarding my needs. I haven't worked since early 2015 and recently filed for SSDI which is what I thought the advocacy group was helping me apply for initially. I received a denial letter. In Oct.of this year I will turn 62 but will still be disabled. ( COPD with a pulmonary embolism.) If or when I file for early retirement, what happens to my SSI benefit? Early retirement would be approx. $1130 per mo. SSI is currently $733 per mo. I cannot live on SSI alone and early retirement would be only slightly better. It's not likely my health will improve. I was self employed for the 10 years prior to receiving SSI. What can be done if anything to maintain my small home and keep the necessary utilities etc.paid? I also receive food stamps. Because of the lack of communication with the advocacy group, I may have timed out for SSDI. It's a mess I didn't know was coming.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Can you clarify how much you get in "SSI"?

Also, you indicate that you stopped working in early 2015. Can you please tell me the net income you reported on your 2005 -- 2015 tax returns via your Schedule Cs?

Also, was your advocacy group comprised of lawyers? Or did you opt for non-lawyer as your legal representative before the SSA?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please refund! I am not happy with it.
********** ********