Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

My husband died on March 24, 2016. We had not lived together

Customer Question

My husband died on March 24, 2016. We had not lived together for over 30 years. I have been advised that I might benefit by receiving his social security benefits. I don't know his social security number. We may be divorced but no record is on file in the State of Virginia which was our place of residence.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you are a surviving spouse (divorced or not), you could be eligible to receive his benefits. If it turns out you were divorced, you would be entitled to benefits if your marriage lasted 10 years or more.

My best advice would be to contact Social Security at 1-***-***-**** and explain your situation. The Social Security representative will advise what steps you need to take and what documents you will need to provide to apply for your husband's benefits.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know, and I will assist you further.

Best regards,