LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

My husband just signed up .s. he is 71, they said they can

Customer Question

my husband just signed up for s.s. he is 71, they said they can only go back one year, he ask what did they mean, they told that they are sending him a check for 9.000.00 in a week. he didn't ask if that he was going to get more after this check( he was told in a letter that he should get around 1,300.00 a mouth, will he still get a check
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service tonight.

Actually, there must be some misunderstanding, because social security never pays more than 6 months in arrears for retirement benefits. Because your husband is 71, and as social security automatically reaches its highest value at age 70, your husband is entitled to a retroactive benefit for the past 6 months. If he is supposed to get about $1300 to $1400 per month as his retirement benefit, then a lump sum 6 month benefit would be about $8,000 and the monthly benefit for month 7----because he signed up---would make a payment of about $9,000. But that is not the only payment that he will receive.

Every month after he receives the first $9,000 deposit, he will receive his regular monthly payment from social security of the same $1,300 per month they told him about, and he will receive that each month for the rest of his life. The only reason he is getting the $9,000 payment now is because he waited until after he was 80 & 1/2 to apply for his benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good evening,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,