Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

At age 65 and1/2 once you apply how does take to receive

Customer Question

at age 65 and1/2 once you apply for benefits how long does take to receive your check
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

...

The simple answer to this question is this: an individual who has filed an application for Social Security retirement benefits will receive a retirement benefit check in the month following their month of entitlement

...

(DEFINED AS (1) a month in which an individual meets the minimum age requirement to qualify for retirement benefits and (2) has filed an application to receive retirement benefits).

...

In other words, social security pays a month behind. So, for example, a benefit to which an individual is entitled for the month of January will actually be paid in the following month of February.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

And remember, in this definition (as with all government processes) having applied means that your application is complete and has been processed.

...

Regardless of how you apply for your retirement benefits, the Social Security Administration may need to see certain documents such as your original birth and marriage certificates to verify your eligibility to receive benefits.

...

This is why I tell clients that there is no reason to delay applying for benefits if you don't have all of the materials you need because Social Security representatives will help you get them and avoid delays in processing your application.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.