lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I have not yet applied benefits and quite honestly do not

Customer Question

I have not yet applied for any benefits and quite honestly do not care to waste my time if I cannot qualify. I had a massive heart attack on May 29, 2016. I am unable to work, right now. And I am certain the type job I do, installation technician, for Satellite TV is not going to be doable anymore. What are my options?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 10 months ago.

The best would be to apply for disability benefits.

The fist step is to communicate with your doctor - and ask to evaluate your health from disability prospective.

.

The definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability.

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

• You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

.

Most Social Security disability claims are initially processed through a network of local Social Security Administration (SSA) field offices and State agencies (usually called Disability Determination Services or DDSs). Subsequent appeals of unfavorable determinations may be decided in a DDS or by an administrative law judge in SSA's Office of Disability Adjudication and Review.

.

Here is an official publication that you may find helpful

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10029.pdf

Questions?

Expert:  lev-tax replied 10 months ago.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.