lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I have not yet applied benefits and quite honestly do not

Customer Question

I have not yet applied for any benefits and quite honestly do not care to waste my time if I cannot qualify. I had a massive heart attack on May 29, 2016. I am unable to work, right now. And I am certain the type job I do, installation technician, for Satellite TV is not going to be doable anymore. What are my options?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

The best would be to apply for disability benefits.

The fist step is to communicate with your doctor - and ask to evaluate your health from disability prospective.

The definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability.

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

• You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

Most Social Security disability claims are initially processed through a network of local Social Security Administration (SSA) field offices and State agencies (usually called Disability Determination Services or DDSs). Subsequent appeals of unfavorable determinations may be decided in a DDS or by an administrative law judge in SSA's Office of Disability Adjudication and Review.

Here is an official publication that you may find helpful

Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.