lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I got married in March 2015 and my spouses Social Security

Customer Question

I got married in March 2015 and my spouses Social Security is greater than mine. I am 69 now and started getting Social Security at age 62. Can I switch over to claim on my spouses Social Security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.

You would need to contact the Social Security Administration and provide information about your spouse - proof of marriage and SSN - so they will verify your spousal benefits.
As a spouse - you are entitled for social security benefits based on your spouse's working record - that generally will be 50% of what your spouse is entitled.

As you started benefits at 62 (before your FRA) - your spousal benefits will be reduced as well.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.

.

If you qualify for benefits on your own record, the SSA will pay that amount first. If the benefit on your spouse’s record is higher, you'll get an additional amount on your spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.