lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I am married, 64 years old, living in Colorado. I was given

Customer Question

I am married, 64 years old, living in Colorado. I was given a severance package from a job I had in California and those benefits will end at the end of this month. My husband is 69 and is currently receiving his Social Security benefits. He lives in California. My question:
Am I able to collect Unemployment Benefits and Social Security at the same time?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

Yes - you may start your social security benefits and apply for unemployment benefits at the same time.
To qualify for unemployment benefits - you must be available and actively looking for the job.
Please be aware that if your job was in California - you will need to apply for unemployment benefits in California.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

An individual must meet all unemployment insurance (UI) eligibility requirements in order to receive benefit payments. Eligibility requirements must be met when a UI claim is filed and whenever a certification is submitted before benefits can be paid by the Employment Development Department (EDD).

An individual must meet eligibility requirements each week that they certify for benefits. Individuals must be:

• Physically able to work.
  • Available for work.
  • Ready and willing to immediately accept work.
  • Actively looking for work each week benefits are claimed.

An individual must certify for benefits by submitting a certification online, over the phone, or by mail. If the information on the certification shows that the individual did not meet eligibility requirements, the EDD will schedule a phone interview. Based on the information obtained, benefits may be reduced or denied.

The minimum weekly benefit amount is $40 and the maximum weekly benefit amount is $450.

Let me know if that helps.