dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

My Dad gets $1,500 a month from social security and my

Customer Question

My Dad gets $1,500 a month from social security and my Mother only gets $700 00. they both retired in their 70's.I heard they should be getting the same aqmount. Is that true and if so how do I go about directing them to this?. Thank You
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

They would be getting the same amount IF your father and your mother worked the same number of years and receive the same wages and start social security benefits at the same age.

Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings.

They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.

Then the Social Security Administration calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.

And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.

This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age.

So depending on your earning record - it is possible that there are some missing years or earning.

Also additional years of earning might increase your benefits.

If so - that could affect your social security benefit calculations and you may contact the Social Security Administration and verify if all information is correct.

Following publication might be helpful for better understanding the calculations.

Let me know if that answered your question?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
not really,I still don't have clue where to start or how to direct them to find out about this.Thanks anyway.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

To verify if social security benefits are calculated correctly - we need to start with earning statement.
That statement lists all years and earning for each year that were subject to social security tax.
They may request such statement from the Social Security Administration.

They may either call - and ask that statement to be mailed OR simply visit a local SSA office - and the agent will print the statement right away.

To call - _1_800_772_1213_ (TTY _1_800_325_0778_ between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Let me know your zip code - and I will find a local SSA office serving your area.

If you will need any further help with verification - you are welcome back.