lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I was born in 1947. I was married over 10 years before

Customer Question

I was born in 1947. I was married over 10 years before divorce. Do I get a spousal benefit in addition to the $1,000 a month I'm currently getting from Social Security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, the SSA will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

How much will be your spousal benefits?

If you begin receiving benefits:

If you are under full retirement age and you continue to work while receiving benefits, your benefits may be affected by the retirement earnings test.

You can apply:

Online - Use our Social Security Retirement/Medicare Benefit Application to apply for retirement, spouse's, divorced spouse's or Medicare benefits.

If your spouse is already receiving benefits when you apply, or if you and your spouse apply at the same time, we will also check your eligibility for benefits as a spouse. If you qualify, your application will automatically serve as a request for spousal benefits.

By phone - Call us at 1-***-***-****. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-***-***-****.

In person - Visit your local Social Security office. (Call first to make an appointment.)