Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986

Can I draw social security benefits and military retirement

Customer Question

Can I draw social security benefits and military retirement at the same tome?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Yes, while you’re in military service, you pay Social Security taxes just as civilian employees do. You currently pay a 6.2 percent Social Security tax on up to $118,500 of your earnings. The Medicare tax rate is 1.45 percent on all wages, and high-income earners also pay an additional 0.9 percent on earnings above certain amounts.

If you served in the military from 1940 through 1956, including attendance at a service academy, you didn’t pay Social Security taxes.

However, your Social Security record may be credited with $160 a month in earnings for military service from September 16, 1940, through December 31, 1956, under the following circumstances:

• You were honorably discharged after 90 or more days of service, or you were released because of a disability or injury received in the line of duty; or

• You’re still on active duty; or

• You’re applying for survivors benefits and the veteran died while on active duty

So yes, in almost ALL cases, you'll have social security AND your military benefits

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

By the way, if you have health care insurance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or under the TRICARE or CHAMPVA program, your health benefits may change or end when you become eligible for Medicare. You should contact the VA, the Department of Defense or a military health benefits advisor for more information, if this applies.

Please let meknow if you have any questions at all.

If this HAShelped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate apositive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and thenclicking “submit")

JustAnswer willnot credit me for the work unless you do.

Thank you!

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations,as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate,corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986