lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

Can I get my Social Security direct deposited in a bank in

Customer Question

Can I get my Social Security direct deposited in a bank in Turkey or Iran if I move there for a while? Or does a bank in Turkey have to have some sort of reciprocal agreement with a US bank for that to take place? I am a US Citizen by birth if that makes a diff, and I am retired, and will not be working. I currently receive SSI direct deposited in a California bank, where I live.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

If you live outside the United States, in a country where we can send payments, you can choose to have your benefits sent electronically to a bank or financial institution in the United States or any country that has an international direct deposit agreement with the United States.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

To find out which countries qualify, go to Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States.

Specifically - you may have your social security benefits deposited in Turkey bank.

Here is information you would need from Turkey bank to establish the direct deposit

So be sure you collect that information before contacting the SSA