emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

What happens if I do not register security when I am 65 but

Customer Question

What happens if I do not register for social security when I am 65 but what until I am 66
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It depends on your date of birth. Your monthly benefits will slightly increase, by 8% to be exact. The longer you wait the larger your monthly benefits will be. At your full retirement age you get 100% of your benefits. If you claim your benefits before your full retirment age, you will get less.

Here's a link to SS benefits calculator.

Enter your birthday and when you want to get your benefits to calculate the percentage.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.