Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Living in California I need to know if my social security

Customer Question

Living in California I need to know if my social security will be taxed and/or how much. I will turn 70 in 7 months and will receive $3,300/ month. I desire to know what my net take home will be if taxed.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

The answer to your question depends on your filing status.

...

First, one must understand that "combined income" is a very specific social security term ... it means 1/2 of your social security plus other household income.

...

You must pay taxes on your benefits if you file a federal tax return as an “individual” and your “combined income” exceeds $25,000. If you file a joint return, you must pay taxes if you and your spouse have “combined income” of more than $32,000. If you are married and file a separate return, you probably will have to pay taxes on your benefits.

...

So if you are a single filer, and this is your ONLY income then NONE of it would be taxable.

...

See this:

...

Summary Table

Social Security Taxation - IRS Publication 915

1Total Social Security benefit$36,900

2One-half of line #1$18,450

3Adjusted Gross Income items (without 'adjustments')$0

4Add back tax-free interest$0

5Add lines 2,3 and 4$18,450

6Adjustments (deductible IRA contributions)$0

7Subtract line 6 from line 5$18,450

8MAGI base amount$25,000

9Subtract base amount (line 8 from line 7)$0

10Enter factor based on filing status$9,000

11Subtract 10 from 9 (min = 0)$0

12Enter the smaller of line 9 or line 10$0

13Enter one-half of line 12$0

14Enter the smaller of line 2 and line 13$0

15Multiply line 11 by 85% (min = 0)$0

16Add lines 14 and 15$0

17Multiply line 1 by 85%$31,365

18Enter the smaller of line 16 or 17$0

Taxable Social Security benefit ..... $0

Percent of Social Security benefit subject to taxation .... 0%

Estimated taxes due .... $0

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

If you DO have other income (and can also provide me with your filing status - single, or married jointly, or married filing separately). I can run the numbers more specifically for you.

...

Otherwise, if this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Let me know!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

I tried to respond to the call request, but there was some sort of problem with it going through. So Sorry.

...

I've asked customer service to check into this.

...

Sometimes a card issuer will block a charge and ask you to OK

...

Could that be the issue here?

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

The bot***** *****ne is that if this is the only income, its not taxable

...

Or I'll say it differently ...

...

You could have up to an additional $540 per month or so of income IN ADDITION to your social security, befor any OF the social security would be taxable

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

I hope this has helped.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

Thank you!

Lane