LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

~Where do I send back SS payments owed? Can reply to

Customer Question

~Where do I send back SS payments owed for 2015? Can reply to***@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you referring to an overpayment that was made by social security in 2015 that you need to return?

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. I owe self.employment to my social security account on $3500. This comes to a little mor than $250. Where (and how) do I pay this payment due SSA?? Andy at***@******.***.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the clarification. Alright, if you owe what is known as self-employment tax---which is earmarked for Social Security and Medicare, it is the IRS that collect all of those taxes. You will need to forward the self-employment tax to the IRS and not to social security itself, because the IRS collect all social security taxes on behalf of the social security administration.

When you file your annual tax return, if you had self employment income you will fill out the Self-Employment Tax form along with your other tax forms and you pay the social security tax along with your other tax payment to the IRS. Here is a link the the site where you can get the form: https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-schedule-se-form-1040

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug