emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

My wife is taking SS and receiving about one half of my FRA

Customer Question

My wife is taking SS and receiving about one half of my FRA benefits or approx. $1200/mo. This is a result of claim and suspend. I am waiting until 70 to take my SS which may amount to $3200/mo or so. Question...If I predecease my wife after I begin receiving my age 70 benefits, will she step up to the $3200/mo going forward. I have been getting conflicting answers.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

She will receive the highest benefits she will be eligible for: her own or survivor benefits. The percentage depends on when she started collecting her benefits. If she waited until her full retirement age she will get 100% of your benefits; $3200. But if she applied for any type of benefits before her full retirement age, her surviving benefits will be reduced accordingly. If she applied for her benefits at 62, she will receive about 75% of $3200, which will be $2400

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.