How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15051
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am getting Half my X-Husbands Pension, do I still get

Customer Question

If I am getting Half my X-Husbands Pension, do I still get MY benefits from MY working Years, as I plan to start collecting this year as I turn 62 in Sept...
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 11 months ago.


If by "Pensions from EX-Spouses" you mean SS benefits based on their work history, when you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, SSA will pay the retirement benefit first (your work record). If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

They do not pay you your full amount based on your work record AND your ex-spouses work history amount.

SSA will look at both records and if your ex-spouse amount is more then they will bump up your benefit amount so you receive a higher amount than just your record but they will not go over the ex-spouse amount.

If on your own record you would get $1000 but on ex-spouse you would get $1500, they will not pay you $2500, but they will pay you all your $1000 plus some of the ex-spouse amount to get you up to $1500.

You are required to rate in a positive way (STARS or SMILEY FACES) if I am to be credited with responding.