How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married to my ex husband years, he is now unemployed.

Customer Question

I was married to my ex husband for 28 years, he is now unemployed. Would I be able to apply on his benefits when I am 65 even if he hasn't applied for his SS benefits? If I am able to apply on his benefits at 65, would I then be able to apply for his full amount upon his death?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. As long as your ex spouse is at least 62 years old, you can collect off his benefits even if he has not requested his own benefits himself. This is because you are an ex spouse - you don't have to wait for them to collect. And yes, if he passes you would get the full benefit and not just the 50% ex spouse benefit.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.