Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

This question is simple but the answer may not be as it

Customer Question

This question is simple but the answer may not be as it related to the US government, if you don't know the answer, or cant find it just tell me, [I don't need BS. I have enough on hand].
The question is this, how do I, or can I pay in back years of SSI, (Retroactively), now in 2016 and-or in coming 2 or 3 years, in order for me to have the full numbers of quarters required for the standard Social Security Insurance Retirement when I turn 65, (or I guess even now in 2016, this to give me the full quarters that I did not have in 2005 when I went on SSI, Disability)
The reason for the question is I'm on SSI-Disability now, [I think it's now at 63 it's defined as SSID, Retirement, [the system does not explain things very clearly as you know, what the actual deference was when they moved me between programs at 62, I never understood only that the payment came in two payments in-place of one for about the same amount].
I don't know and I've never been able to figure out what changes when I turn 65, what changes take place in my payments and benefits, [if any], do I go on to the regular SSI retirement as if I had all the quarters payed in, or do I stay as I am with the same payments and no medical benefits as is the case now.
Is there Issue Case Law, are there Issue Statutes, or are there IRS-SSI, regulations that relate to making Back SSI Social Security Payments into your Social Security Account, [clearly the US government would not desire for this to be done so would not make the information easy to find, or the process for doing so easy], but can it be done and how.
If you need more ask me and I try to be clearer, but the base question is, can I and how do I pay in Back Years of Social Security to get in all the quarters that I need to get full Social Security Benefits Retroactively in order to get full Benefits now, or when I turn 65. (Trapper).
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

...

Your question is based on a assumption that's not quite correct ... that you need to "get back" the years/quarters of work in order to qualify for the SSA retirement benefit.

...

For those on SSDI (sounds like you're what's called a concurrent benefits under both SSI and SSDI - we can talk more about that, but it's not relevant here) when you turn full retirement age you are automatically converted to SS retirement.

...

There are two major changes that take affect when you reach full retirement age. The first is that your benefits will no longer be paid through SSD. Instead, you will transition to SSA's retirement system.

...

Your benefits will not be interrupted with this transition and the benefit payment will be processed as usual. It will simply come in from a different Social Security fund rather than SSD, but you won’t even notice the difference.

...

The second change that comes with reaching full retirement age is that your benefits are no longer subject earning limits that were in place with your disability benefits.

...

Finally, you DON'T have to be concerned about the number of years issue ... For those on disability converting to retirement benefit at full retirement age (likely 66 for you), the years while on disability are treated as if those were working years (for retirement benefit purposes).

...

Let me know if you have questions.

...

Lane

...

...

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice on three continents, since 1986

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane