TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

I live in Canada and have dual citizenship, I started

Customer Question

I live in Canada and have dual citizenship, I started drawing my Social Security as of last June, do I have to file a tax return in the US or just claim the amount on my Canada income tax forms? The last time I made money in the US was in 1978 upon my discharge from the USMC, so no money made from 1979 to 2014.
Thank you
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 5 months ago.

Hello

Per the US -Canadian tax treaty you would treat the SSA benefits the same way a US citizen or resident alien would treat the benefits, that means that if they are the only US sourced income then they are not taxable to you in the US.

Report the full amount, in Canadian dollars, of your U.S. Social Security benefits and anyU.S. Medicare premiums paid on your Canada return.

You are required to rate in a positive way (STARS or SMILEY FACES) if I am to be credited with responding.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 5 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded