How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13966
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Canada and have dual citizenship, I started

Customer Question

I live in Canada and have dual citizenship, I started drawing my Social Security as of last June, do I have to file a tax return in the US or just claim the amount on my Canada income tax forms? The last time I made money in the US was in 1978 upon my discharge from the USMC, so no money made from 1979 to 2014.
Thank you
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 8 months ago.


Per the US -Canadian tax treaty you would treat the SSA benefits the same way a US citizen or resident alien would treat the benefits, that means that if they are the only US sourced income then they are not taxable to you in the US.

Report the full amount, in Canadian dollars, of your U.S. Social Security benefits and anyU.S. Medicare premiums paid on your Canada return.

You are required to rate in a positive way (STARS or SMILEY FACES) if I am to be credited with responding.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 8 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded