dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I am 74 years old, my S.S. after medicare withdrawl is

Customer Question

I am 74 years old, my S.S. after medicare withdrawl is $782.00 per month, I took it at 62.5 years because of health. Didn't expect to live much beyond 65. In my younger days I injured my back at work. I was A large press operator, loading tons of paper every day. I never reported it other than going to the west Salem clinic where the Dr. did A back adjustment. At another time I was going to A chiropractor Market Street Salem, Or. This guy was closed down for some sort of fraud and while there gathering up his books found A stash of Coke. End of spine adjustments. At some point I started growing pot at home but was busted and was forced to sell my home. I was to pay 50 % of the net which amounted to aprox. $45,000.00 each. I got to pay all the closing costs. I also receive A pension of Aprox.$320.00 per month, adjustable depending on the exchange rate of the month, making for A total of $1100.00 per month. Part of my health problems were related to undiagnosed diabetes, It is now under control but I take two shots per day but don't get around very well as I have suffered for about ten months with A bad hip or sciatica. I have Kaiser permanente $84.00 per month as well as medicare Aprox. $108.00 per month If my wife and I were to divorce she would gain aprox. $200.00 per month by taking her late husbands S.S. He died aprox. twenty years ago and we have been married almost 14. If I were to sign the house over to her and rent A room would I have any advantage financially? ------Hope to hear from someone, thank you---Ted, ********@***.com
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 4 months ago.

How old was your wife when she married you, Ted?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
57 years old she was married to her first husband for 32 years before he died

Ouch, OK. Had she waited til 60 to marry you, the remarriage would not prevent collecting of survivor benefits on HIS record.

Now, what benefit is your wife collecting? Is it on her own work record? How much is it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I started this inquiry several hours ago and now she has gone out so I'm unable to get exact answers. Her S.S. is based on her own work record from about age 19 till she was 65. When she applied for ss she was told that she would collect her husbands if she were single as he paid as A business owner and she was part owner. Her ss is aprox $1200. as well as aprox. $200.00 for 5 or so years with the state. She had over 30 years as A legal secretary, California and Oregon. My bank account shows A $5.00 withdrawal as well as $34.00. Should it not be $5.00 + $27.00 and only after my approval ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What about the inquiries about my medical and poverty situation ? It was part of the question