LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 70 years old and recieiving SSI. I am also 100%

Customer Question

I am 70 years old and recieiving SSI. I am also 100% disabled and unemployable by the Veterans Adm for PTSD. Do I qualify for for SSD.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening Jesse,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

First of all, from one veteran to another, thank you for your service to our country!

If you are 70, you should be receiving social security retirement by now. Now, it is possible that you are receiving a social security retirement benefit and SSI (Supplemental Security Income) as well, but SSI is welfare and you would have to have income of less than about $800 per month to be eligible for SSI.

As for social security disability (SSDI), this is a benefit that only people less than full retirement age (for social security retirement) are eligible for and today that maximum age is 66 year old. So unfortunately, regardless of your medical condition, because you are over the age of 66, you would not be eligible to receive social security disability benefits. So no Sir, you are not qualified to receive social security disability benefits.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug