Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am 81 years old, married, have two minor boys 15 and 16

Customer Question

I am 81 years old, married, have two minor boys 15 and 16 years old.
I receive social security, my wife does not. My question is are the stepsons allowed social security? and is it retroactive? what is needed ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

...

Yes, they should qualify ... see this from Social Security: (I'll underline the pertinent parts)

...

"When you qualify for Social Security retirement benefits, your children may also qualify to receive benefits on your record. Your eligible child can be your biological child, adopted child or stepchild. A dependent grandchild may also qualify.

To receive benefits, the child must:

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

To apply ... see this:

...

You can apply for benefits by calling our national toll-free service at 1-***-***-****(TTY 1-***-***-****) or by visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

You can help by being ready to:

...

• Provide any needed documents; and
  • Answer the questions listed below.
  • ...

Documents you may need to provide

...

We may ask you to provide documents to determine if you may be eligible for benefits for having the child in your care:

...

• Your birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • The child's birth certificate or other proof of birth or adoption;
  • Your proof of marriage if you are or were married to the worker;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
  • U.S. military discharge paper(s); and
  • W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year.
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

As a follow-up ... if you go to a local field office (here's a site for looking them up https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp )

...

They are very good at helping you get whatever paperwork that's needed, IF you can't get something yourself.

...

I'd appreciate a positive rating (using those faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit"). Otherwise I get no credited for the work here at all.

...

Thanks so much!

Lane