Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My S.S. # is **********. I am 83 tears old. I have been

Customer Question

My S.S. # ***** **********. I am 83 tears old. I have been working part-time since 2009. I have been paying S.S. fom each of my monthly checks from the ************************** in RI. My current S.S. payment is $428.00/month
My work with **** is currently completed. My net check for April & May was $1470.39. My last ***** ck. was $325.33.
What are the total S.S. deductions from my **** checks since 2009? Am I entitled to an increase in my current S.S monthly check?
I have been treated for several illnesses over the last 15 years & have considered applying for SSI.
Looking forward to assistance.
Robert ******** ************ *************
********************************************
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.

Hi first, if your only income is 428/month, yes, I suggest you apply for SSI immediately. I say immediately because SSI pays NO back benefits prior to the time you apply. You need NOT prove illness or disability, only that you are poor enough.

Secondly, if you are paying SS taxes, your income is being reported to the SSA each year. Usually there can be a delay by 1-2 years in it being reflected in your benefits if you are warranted an increase because the figures first go to the IRS when you file your taxes, and then to the SSA. But as I understand it, the current years (lagged) calculations are not done a la carte, but in batch.

To find your SS deductions from your BVTC checks, you can look at your paystubs - under FICA. For 2016, it was a 6.2% tax from your wage, so you can also take your gross for each paycheck and apply the %.

In addition, you can go to

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

to get your estimate of SS taxes paid (and Medicare taxes paid).

If the above don't work for you, than unfortunately you will have to go to your local office and ask in person. But the link works for most people so long as they can answer the questions to prove identity.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!