LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I was getting SSI when I was a baby I got locked up at 15

Customer Question

I was getting SSI when I was a baby I got locked up at 15 and they was cut off by my parents I reapply be I got denied wat do I do
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. If you were receiving SSI as a child, it was because you were then legally disabled and your parents had little income or assets. Are you still disabled now?

2. What is your present age?

3. When were you first diagnosed as legally disabled, entitling you to SSI benefits?

Doug

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I'm 26 and 1989
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My mom signed up me up
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Are you still disabled now?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I really can't say I'm disable I never known y I was getting ssi
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

The only reason that you would have received SSI benefits as a child was IF you WERE disabled and your parents were poor.

Are you sure that you received SSI (SSI is welfare) and that you were not instead not perhaps receiving a social security survivor's benefit based on the death of a birth parent, or a child benefit based on one of your parents having been disabled or having retired and receiving social security benefits?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Doug

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My dad is retired
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Alright. Now we have the facts straight and I can give you an answer.

That means that you were not receiving SSI, but instead you were getting a child benefit based on your father's retirement. That benefit was only payable up to the time that you either turned 18, or 19 in you were still in high school. And because you were incarcerated at 15, you were not entitled to any of that benefit during any time that you were incarcerated.

The reason that you have been denied social security benefits now is because you are over 19 and no longer eligible for a child benefit based on your father's retirement. I am sorry.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, my offer is still open to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug