dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am 84 years old; my wife is 83 years old. Does my wife

Customer Question

I am 84 years old; my wife is 83 years old. Does my wife receive one-half of my SS pay? She opted to take part of my SS pay rather than hers. According to our figures, she is not receiving one-half of my SS pay. I receive $1,630.00, and when $104.90 is added for MEDICARE, I receive $1734.90. One-half of what I receive from SS is $867.45. When you subtract my wife's MEDICARE of $104.90, she should be receiving $762.45. However, she is receiving only $682.00, which is $80.55 per month less than our figures.
are our figures and assumptions correct? If her SS payments are incorrect, how do we resolve this matter? John N. Elliott, Sun City West, AZ 85345
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening John,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 30 years and I handle social security issues.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. At what age did you begin to take your benefit?

2. At what age did you wife first apply for her spouse benefit?

Doug

Thanks in advance,

Doug