LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I'm drawing benefits on my husbands account. I think I might

Customer Question

I'm drawing benefits on my husbands account. I think I might make more drawing off my own account. I'm 75
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good morning Lucetta,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What can I help you learn or understand?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My husband and I both paid in to social security. I believe I'm drawing on my husbands account, said gave me no choice, and I'm wondering if at 75 I wouldn't get more by drawing on my own account.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Hi Lucetta,

Thanks for the additional information.

Yes, it is possible that you could draw more on your account. A spouse benefit is limited to just 50% of your spouse's full retirement age benefit---while you are entitled to 100% of your own retirement benefit.

To see whether you would benefit by switching you can call social security, or visit a local social security office or look online at your Social Security Statement.

If you currently live in the United States, Social Security has a new way for you to get information about your account:
1. Using your online “my Social Security” account. If you don’t already have an account, you can create one online. You can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The site was completely useless honestly feel like I just wasted $32 because you were no help either. Sending a person to a website or telling them to go to ss office is not help. Any idiot already knows that
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

I'm not sure why you feel the website was useless. It works just fine if you go ahead and register online for access. I have personally done it and it works just great. You have to sign up for the access to the site online with social security and then they will allow you to see your social security statement online. I can't do it for you because it is illegal for anyone else to access your social security records online. Only you can do that.