lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I have filed under my deceased husbands social security

Customer Question

I have filed for benefits under my deceased husbands social security number. I need to know when I might receive my awards letter. I'm purchasing a home and need that to qualify. My social security number is###-##-#### I called last week and they said I should have it by last Friday. I did get mail from SSA, but was not that. Would it be possible to have it faxed to me?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

If you need proof you get Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security (SSI) Income or Medicare, you can request a benefit verification letter online by using your my Social Security account. This letter is sometimes called a "budget letter," a "benefits letter," a "proof of income letter," or a "proof of award letter."

Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

To set up or use your account to get a benefit verification letter, go to Sign In Or Create An Account.
The SSA will NOT fax the letter - but if you are not able to use your online account and need it urgently - you may want to visit a local SSA office and they will give you the letter on spot.

Let me know your zip code - and I will find the office serving your area.