Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My father died on May 31, 2016. I received s ss check in s

Customer Question

My father died on May 31, 2016. I received his ss check in his and mom's checking account on 6/2/2016. My mother is the sole befeficiary of his estate. Does the $1400 have to returned. IF so where and how?
What do I have to do with ss to notify of my father's death? How much of my father's benefits will my mother receive? When will it start?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

...

Many times the funeral home will notify social security.

...

And if your mother is over age 66, she will get the same amount as a survivors benefit, so do not send the check back until/if Social Security directs you to.

...

See this from Social Security - Here: https://www.ssa.gov/survivors/

...

"You cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online.

...

If you need to report a death, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-**** ( TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

...

Note: In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. If you want them to do that, you will need to give the deceased’s Social Security Number to the funeral director so he or she can make the report."

...

Bear with me and I'll get the instructions for filing for the survivors benefits (be right back)

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Yes, see this:

...

What will happen when I report a death?

• If you are getting benefits on your spouse's or parent's record:
    • You generally will not need to file an application for survivors’ benefits.
    • We'll automatically change any monthly benefits you receive to survivor benefits after we receive the report of death.
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice since 1986