Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am currently 65 and on SSDI and will need to draw social

Customer Question

I am currently 65 and on SSDI and will need to draw social security in Dec. 2t016. My ex-husband of 25 years passed away last year and I was told that I could draw on his social security as well. He was 66 when he passed but due to his heart retired at 62. I was told that the only difference I would receive was $9 a month. My understanding of the conversation was that I could only collect the highest of the two, but could not draw any monies from him. Is this correct.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

...

That's correct. Benefits cannot be "stacked," as Social Security calls it.

...

Your benefit, when on SSDI, converts automatically to SS retirement. Nothing changes, in terms of amount. You will simply be paid from a different fund.

...

And then, yes, if drawing survivors benefits on your husbands record would be MORE than your benefit, Social Security will raise the benefit TO that amount.

...

See this (from https://www.ssa.gov/sf/FactSheets/WomenandSSrev1.pdf) - Top of page 2

...

If you’re due two benefits, you get the one that pays the higher rate, not both

 Most women are potentially due two benefits: your own retirement benefit and wife’s benefit on your husband’s record.

 But you only get the one that pays the higher rate, not both.

 A wife is due between one-third and one-half of her husband’s Social Security.

 Most working women who reach retirement age get their own Social Security benefit because it’s more than one-third to one-half of the husband’s rate.

 But if your husband dies before you, you can apply for the higher widow’s rate

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice since 1986.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the info. It appears that I will receive nothing from his ss then which doesn't seem right. I would have expected a few hundred dollars to help with medical costs.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there anyway to get the one third or one half for medical/prescription costd?
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

So sorry to be the messenger here

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

oh sorry looks like we crossed

...

You WILL qualify for Medicare

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

IF the benefit is low ENOUGH, you may be able to qualify for SSI, hence MediCAID

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

If your benefit is your only income and below the income limit ($733/mo.) for SSI (diffrent from SSDI) then you become dually eligible.

...

(Again, no stacking) but if your income is THAT low, then you'd be abe to quaify for both Medicaid AND Medicare, which will help

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work here.

Thank you!

Lane