lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I was on disability, received widows benefits at 62. i was

Customer Question

I was on disability, received widows benefits at 62. i was told on disability if i could work not to make over 1200 a month. when i turned 66 my disability turned to retirement benefits and i still receive the widows. If i can return to an administrative nursing job is my salary limited to what i can make??
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

Several issues...

You may not receive both benefits at the same time.

But if you are eligible for your own disability benefits and survival spouse benefits - you may receive the larger of these two.

You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time.

However, if you are disabled - you can engage in "substantial gainful activity" if you're in a trial work program.

Otherwise - you might be considered as not disabled anymore.

If you are receiving retirement benefits (not disability benefits) or survival spouse benefits and you are are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, the SSA will reduce your benefit. If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, they deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2016 that limit is $15,720.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, the SSA will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

Social Security disability benefits automatically change to retirement benefits when disability beneficiaries become full retirement age.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank u
Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all tax related issues.