How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29528
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was off from my job. I started taking my social security

Customer Question

I was laid off from my job. I started taking my social security payments at 63 . I finally found a job and put my s/s payments on hold . There was a two week lapse from my first check at work and my last payment from s/s. I am being butchered for losing my job and taking s/s at 63. The s/s office tells me that I owe $7250 for seven months that they paid me for s/s. Being that I did not collect pay from s/s while I got paid from my job . I collected s/s benefits before I found a new job . What are your thoughts on my problem ?
I thought that I could collect money from s/s as my survival to safe my house as my wife does not work.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 11 months ago.

First of all if you start taking social security benefits before your full retirement age (which is 66 in your case) - your benefits are permanently reduced.

Second - as your income is above certain limit - most of social security benefits are taxable.

So - you might consider to pay back that amount - and you will be considered as never started your social security benefits.


Then - we need to understand WHY the SSA determined that you was overpaid...

You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time.

However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, the SSA will reduce your benefit.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age,they will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

We use the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits: If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.

For 2016 that limit is $15,720.


Expert:  lev-tax replied 10 months ago.

You still have an option NOT to repay all or part of your benefits by using a special rule that applies to earnings for one year, usually the first year of retirement.

Sometimes people younger than full retirement age retire in the middle of the year and have already earned more than the yearly earnings limit. There is a special rule that applies to earnings for one year, usually the first year of retirement. Under this rule, you can get a full Social Security benefit for any whole month you are retired, regardless of your yearly earnings.

If you will be under full retirement age for all of 2016, you are considered retired in any month that your earnings are $1,310 or less and you did not perform substantial services in self employment.


So - these are your options.


.I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all related issues.

Related Social Security Questions